Helping You Win This Christmas Gathering
Christmas is just five days away and Sunday's Christmas gathering is just four days away! This coming Sunday those of us with children will be spending more time than usual with our kids while at church. We will all gather in the Multipurpose Room (Fellowship Hall) at 9am for breakfast as an entire church family. We will spend the time together that morning eating and to help keep our kids (of ALL ages) active and occupied we will be playing Christmas BINGO (with pictures) and Minute to Win it Games.
After finishing up with breakfast we will have nursery for our babies as usual and our children 3 years - 5th grade will go to the Kid's Church Room for last minute practice and encouragement. The children will then come into the Main Worship Center and sit with you before and after their singing.
Preparing to Win
I know that having our children in worship gathering with us can cause a little anxiety, stress, or distraction that we aren't accustomed to so I wanted to try to help us as parents prepare and win during this Christmas Gathering with our children. Below are some thoughts and ideas to try leading up to this week's worship gathering to help our whole family experience new life in Christ.
If your children are like mine they can read a little bit or none at all. This makes it hard for them to sing and participate in this part of the gathering if they do not know the songs. So for the remainder of this week play the songs below and listen to them with your children as you ride in the car, play them as background noise while at home, while they are in the bath, or any other time that you can think of. Our goal is to have them familiar enough with the songs that they can kind of sing along and be engaged. Also genuinely worship yourself on Sunday morning so that they can see you as the parent, grandparent, or other family member connect with God through song. Remember learning is more caught than taught.
This Sunday's Worship Playlist:
What Can I Do
Breath of Heaven
Mary Did You Know
Just a couple of things really quick on the message. I hope to work on and provide more resources in the upcoming year for our older children when they join us in our gatherings. Here are some thoughts:
- Pick up the Kid's Activity Bulletin in front of the Bulletin Board as you come in the Worship Center.
- If your child is old enough to write have them write down the part of Scripture we are studying. This week's will be Hebrews 10:1-18.
- Have your child draw a pciture of something the pastor talked about during his message. This week could be anything from the manger, cross, Lord's Supper, or something used in an illustration. After the message simply ask the child why they drew what they drew.
- Since children are present there will be points in the message that I'll talk and desire interaction with them as well as an object lesson or two to help keep them engaged.
The Lord's Supper
We will end our gathering together with Communion. As a parent I have wrestled on whether or not my children should participate in Communion. In my own struggle I came across some helpful videos and articles and have included links to them below. I'd encourage you to read and watch them and then discuss the following questions on your own or with your spouse.
For me, I plan on reading the Lord's Supper out of our children's Bible and then read 1 Corinthians 11:23-26 and walk through the points in the article from the Village Church below and offer a chance for them to follow Jesus or ask questions.
Dr. Charles Stanley on Kids and Communion
1. Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
2. What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
3. Explain communion in your own words. When did you first take communion? Did you understand what it was about?
4. Has your child trusted Jesus for salvation? If so, when did it happen? If not, when do you think they’ll be ready?
5. Write a personal action step based on this conversation.
Please share your ideas as well! We are in this together!
More in Blog
March 5, 2020Will People Who Reject The Gospel Before The Rapture Be Able To Be Saved After The Rapture?
February 3, 2020Revelation Video Series: Revelation 6:1-8
January 29, 2020Could Jesus Have Sinned?